Tyson Park History
Tyson Park is the City’s second oldest park, behind Chilhowee Park. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence David Tyson donated the property for a park in honor of their son Charles McGhee Tyson, a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy Air Corps who was killed in action on October 11, 1918 over the North Sea. McGhee Tyson was the first Tennessee aviator to fall in battle. McGhee Tyson Airport is also named for their son.