Caswell Park History
In 1916, Col. William Caswell, a confederate veteran of the Civil War, donated land in East Knoxville to the City for the purpose of a community park. The land was near his 5 th Avenue home, and it included a playground and other park amenities. The park was best known for baseball.
Throughout its history, the park has held three stadiums. The first was named for Col. Caswell. The second was named for City Councilman W.N. Smithson. The third stadium was named for the manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Knoxville native and big league star Bill Meyer. Coach Meyer was able to visit Bill Meyer Stadium several times before he died in 1957.
The 50-year-old Bill Meyer Stadium was demolished in 2003. The City began planning major changes for the Bill Meyer Stadium area after the Smokies built a new stadium in Sevier County and became the Tennessee Smokies. Though the stadium was demolished, the field was kept in place.