| KNOXVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT (KPD)|
Members of the Knoxville
Police Department circa 1910
The History of the Knoxville Police Department begins in January 1802
with the appointment of Jacob Reed as Town Sergeant. The title changed
to High Constable in 1816 and later Marshall in 1840. Marshal D.J. Stacks
was the last town marshal. Marshal Stacks urged the forming of a police
force. He was the only member of the new police force until Fuller Ryan
was appointed his first assistant in 1854.
In January 1857 the first regular Chief of Police was named and the first
brass buttoned officer patrolled the streets of Knoxville. They wore a
"Prince Albert" gray coat with standing collar.
In 1860 another change was made with the election of the first Chief
Of Police/Tax collector/Market Master, Chief Marshal Pesterfield.
The Knoxville Police Department began serving the public on foot, as well
as, on horse back. There tales that officers used bicycles to chase cars
when motor cars first made the public scene.